Every day, you handle situations and emergencies where you have to give your all. You face enough risks without adding heart disease and related health concerns to the list. For your sake, as well as for the sake of your families and your community, we offer the following tools and tips to help you be ready for the stress, strain, and challenges of what you do. It takes a person with heart to do you job – use these tools to help keep it strong.
Everyone responds to exercise and nutrition programs in different ways, and we will continue to update and expand the following tools and resources to help you find the combination that works for you. The key is to get started..
- Follow the steps to getting healthy to help you achieve your goals and succeed in the long-term.
- Resolve to be healthy this year. Fill out and sign the Heart-Healthy Firefighter Contract to ensure you stick to your heart-health goals throughout the year.
- Learn functional fitness exercises you can do with equipment found at the station. These exercises target specific muscle groups firefighters use when training and responding.
- Find new, delicious, and healthy recipes you can use both at home and at the firehouse.
- Become a Health and Wellness Advocate for your department and motivate your fellow first responders to adopt heart-healthy behaviors.
- Start a health and wellness program in your department to help motivate you and your fellow first responders to get and stay healthy.
- Learn more about your health with the Heart-Healthy Firefighter Program Resource Guide.
- Quit smoking and stay quit with help from these resources.
- Find tools and resources to focus on your heart-health, fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle choices to keep you healthy and strong.
- Take the NVFC’s health and wellness webinars to learn about topics such as functional fitness, nutrition, designing a health and wellness program, heart-health, and smoking cessation.
- Order a copy of the Heart-Healthy Firefighter Cookbook, which features recipes submitted by firefighters and EMS providers who have accepted the challenge to become heart-healthy. Use these recipes both at home and at the firehouse and discover how easy and delicious it is to eat nutritiously.
- Learn how to assess your risk of heart disease, how to reduce that risk, and how to get the help you need on the road to heart-health.
- Find out how other first responders accomplished their heart-health goals and get motivated by their success.