Courtesy of the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute Obesity Education Initiative
With no added salt and very little oil in the marinade, these broiled or grilled kabobs made with skinless chicken breasts are lower in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 fresh mushrooms
black pepper, to taste
8 parboiled whole white onions
2 oranges, quartered
8 canned pineapple chunks
8 cherry tomatoes
1 can (6 oz) frozen, concentrated apple juice, thawed
1 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
dash ground ginger
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with pepper.
- Thread 8 skewers as follows: chicken, mushroom, chicken, onion, chicken, orange quarter, chicken, pineapple chunk, cherry tomato.
- Place kabobs in shallow pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients; spoon over kabobs. Marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Drain. Broil 6 inches from heat, 15 minutes on each side, brushing with marinade every 5 minutes. Discard any leftover marinade.
Serves 8 (Serving size: ½ chicken breast kabob)
Nutritional information: 359 calories; 11g fat; 2g saturated fat; 66mg cholesterol; 226mg sodium