Courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
1 lb lean beef (top round), cubed
2 tsp vegetable oil
¾ Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
¼ tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp dried basil
¼ cup white wine
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
6 cups whole-wheat macaroni, cooked in unsalted water
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in nonstick skillet. Sauté onion for 2 minutes.
3. Add beef and sauté for 5 minutes more. Turn to brown evenly. Remove beef and onion from pan and keep hot.
4. Add remaining oil to pan and sauté mushrooms.
5. Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
6. Gently stir in wine and yogurt. Heat, but do not boil.*
7. Serve with cooked macaroni.
*If thickening is desired, use 2 tsp cornstarch. Calories are same as for flour, but cornstarch has double the thickening power. Calories from cornstarch are not included in the nutritional information listed below. To add cornstarch, take small amount of wine and yogurt broth and put aside to cool. Stir in cornstarch. Add some of the warm broth to cornstarch paste and stir. Add mixture to pan.
Nutritional information: 499 calories; 10g fat; 3g saturated fat; 80mg cholesterol; 200mg sodium; 4g fiber; 41g protein; 58g carbohydrates; 891mg potassium.
© 2018 National Volunteer Fire Council. All Rights Reserved.