Courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
2 medium zucchini
½ cup shredded carrot
¼ cup chopped onion
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup corn bread stuffing mix
3 Tbsp. water
¼ cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Halve zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving ¼-inch thick shells. Discard pulp.
2. Place zucchini halves, cut side down, in a large skillet. Add ½ cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Drain zucchini on paper towels. Meanwhile prepare stuffing.
4. Lightly spray a medium saucepan with vegetable spray. Add carrot and onion and cook over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in stuffing mix and water.
5. Spoon stuffing into prepared zucchini. Sprinkle cheese on top of the stuffing in each zucchini then place them in a shallow baking dish.
6. Bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes or until zucchini are tender and stuffing is heated through.
Nutritional information: 114 calories; 3g fat; 1g saturated fat; 0mg cholesterol; 226mg sodium; 2.4g fiber; 17g carbohydrates; 5.6g protein