Courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
This easy-to-make salad is hearty enough to serve as a meal.
½ cup chopped onions
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 Tbsp Chili powder
2 tsp dry oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained
15 oz. can chickpeas, drained (Note: Garbanzo bean is another name for chickpea)
1 medium tomato, diced
2 cups lettuce
½ cup cheddar cheese
1. Cook ground beef and onions in a large skillet until the beef no longer remains pink. Drain.
2. Stir chili powder, oregano, and cumin into beef mixture; cook for 1 minute.
3. Add beans, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Mix gently to combine.
4. Combine lettuce and cheese in large serving bowl. Portion lettuce and cheese onto 4 plates.
5. Add 1 cup of beef mixture on top of lettuce and cheese.
Nutritional information: 485 calories; 22g fat; 9g saturated fat; 98mg cholesterol; 411mg sodium