Recipe: Baked Pork Chops
Courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
6 lean center-cut pork chops, ½-inch thick*
1 egg white
1 cup evaporated skim milk
¾ cup cornflake crumbs
¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp oregano
¾ tsp chili powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp dry mustard
½ tsp salt
Nonstick cooking spray as needed
*Also try this recipe with fish or skinless, boneless chicken or turkey parts. Just change baking time to 20 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Trim fat from pork chops.
3. Beat egg white with evaporated skim milk. Place chops in milk mixture and let stand for 5 minutes, turning once.
4. Meanwhile, mix cornflake crumbs, bread crumbs, spices, and salt.
5. Use nonstick cooking spray on 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
6. Remove chops from milk mixture and coat thoroughly with crumb mixture.
7. Place chops in pan and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Turn chops and bake for additional 15 minutes or until no pink remains.
Nutritional information: 216 calories; 8g fat; 3g saturated fat; 62mg cholesterol; 346mg sodium; 1g fiber; 25g protein; 10g carbohydrates; 414mg potassium.