Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
2 cups macaroni
½ cup onions, chopped
½ cup evaporated skim milk
1 medium egg, beaten
¼ tsp black pepper
1¼ cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
Nonstick cooking spray as needed
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions – but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
2. Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350°.
3. Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
4. In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and rest of ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
5. Transfer mixture into casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information: 200 calories; 4g fat; 2g saturated fat; 34mg cholesterol; 120mg sodium; 1g fiber; 11g protein; 29g carbohydrates; 119mg potassium.