Courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
Use this recipe for healthy cornbread in your Thanksgiving meal this year.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup 1%-fat buttermilk
1 egg, whole
¼ cup margarine
1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
4. Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
5. Add margarine and mix by hand or with mixer for 1 minute.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes in an 8x8-inch greased baking dish.
7. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.
Nutritional information per serving: 178 calories; 6g fat; 1g saturated fat; 22mg cholesterol; 94mg sodium; 1g fiber; 4g protein; 27g carbohydrates; 132mg potassium.