Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken
Courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
½ cup skim milk or buttermilk
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
1½ Tbsp onion powder
1½ Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried hot pepper, crushed
1 tsp ginger, ground
8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
A few shakes of paprika
1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Add ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
3. Combine all other spices (except paprika) with cornflake crumbs and place in plastic bag.
4. Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk, shake to remove excess, then quickly shake in bag with seasonings and crumbs.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
7. Evenly space chicken on greased baking pan.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30-40 minutes or until meat can be easily pulled away from bone with a fork. Drumsticks may require less baking time than breasts. (Do not turn chicken during baking.) Crumbs will form a crispy “skin.”
Nutritional information: 256 calories; 5g fat; 1g saturated fat; 82mg cholesterol; 286mg sodium; 1g fiber; 30g protein; 22g carbohydrates; 339mg potassium.