NVFC to Release Health and Wellness Webinars
Tuesday, 07 September 2010
The National Volunteer Fire Council is developing a series of webinars as part of its continuing effort to educate first responders about health and wellness. The five webinars focus on a variety of health and wellness topics targeted to the fire and emergency services. These include:
- Functional Exercise - Michelle Detwiler of L&T Health and Fitness discusses how to improve your on-duty performance through targeted workouts.
- Heart-Health – Dr. Thomas White describes the anatomy of the heart, how a heart attack happens, and the unique risk factors of a first responder.
- Nutrition – Dr. Jeannie Gazzaniga-Moloo explains how to use the nutrition facts label, smart snacking tips, and how to eat healthfully when dining out.
- Program Design – Detwiler presents safe and effective training and exercise programs to implement at the station.
- Smoking Cessation – NVFC Board Member Thomas Miller, LPC, CAC, IADC, leads the Know Your Health: Why I Smoke and How to Quit presentation, sponsored by Pfizer. This webinar will also be available on the Put It Out smoking cessation initiative web site at www.healthy-firefighter.org/putitout.
Stay tuned to the Heart-Healthy Firefighter Program web site
in the coming weeks to view the webinars. Visit the Put It Out web site
to find out more about smoking cessation in the fire service.